History of South Jordan:
Prior to the Pioneer Company of Mormans that entered the Valley in July, 1847, history is sketchy. The Utah Valley is characterized as dry and barren and mention the streams and flood plains of the Jordan River (originally Utah River) as good temporary camping sites. It was mentioned that none of the native Indian bands claimed the Salt Lake Valley as a permanent home.
Early settlers did report that a well worn trail existed along what would become 1300 West used by the Noche Indians (utes) traveling between the marshes of the Great Salt Lake and Utah Lake. In 1847 the Mormans arrived and immediately began to explore and expand, claiming land along the "Utah River" Two years later the river was renamed "Western Jordan" after the River Jordan in Palestine. Over time, the "Western" has fallen out of use. The earliest South Jordan landowner was Alexander Beckstead who in 1849 settled along the river at about 9000 South.. He and his 7 sons soon built the "Beckstead Ditch" that brought irrigation water and life to the area from Draper Bridge (12600 South) to Sandy Road (9000 South). In 1859 several additional families joined Beckstead to start the new settlement that they initially called "Gale" because the wind always seemed to be blowing. The new settlers carved one room dugouts into the bluffs on the western side of the Jordan, covered by skins and brush. Maintaining and creating irrigation ditches became the lifeblood of the South Jordan farmers.
South Jordan Chronology:
The South Jordan area is rich in history and tradition. Some of the events and dates of significance give real meaning to the present day of those families that call Sth. Jordan home.
1863 The area "West of Jordan" was divided into North Jordan, (Taylorsville) South Jordan, and Herriman wards of the LDS church.
1864 First building in South Jordan, a 14' x 18' adobe room.
1873 Red brick school house built.
1876 Completion of So. Jordan Canal, allowing families to irrigate higher ground away from river.
First real homes built.
1877 South Jordan has first Post Office (Gale Post Office). A single postman carried all the mail for South Jordan, West Jordan, Riverton, Bluffdale, & Draper.
1881 Diptherea epidemic devastated many area families. Water brought to Redwood Rd.
1882 "Red Gales" Baseball team organized. Provides inexpensive recreation for townspeople for many years.
1890 Two important new crops introduced; Alfalfa, and sugar beets.
1895 South Jordan Milling Co. opens creating local service business and Industry.
1901 Beginning of three year drought that sees entire families give up their land and leave the area.
1903 First Telephone installed in South Jordan.
1904 South Jordan school district established.
1914 The "Red Heiffer" an electric narrow guage rail line made travel possible as far north as Salt Lake City, and as far south as Payson. The South Jordan Water Company was the first to offer a water subscription service.
DayBreak At South Jordan:
The Daybreak Community will also have an 85 acre man-made lake that will provide residents all kinds of recreational activities from fishing to boating and skiing to swimming. The lake is not anticipated to be completed until 2010, but its construction is already underway. This development will enhance the beauty of South Jordan and provide numerous activities to residents.
MORE South Jordan Real Estate:
Single family home new construction permits have been on the rise the last decade. Average prices for Real Estate & homes for sale in South Jordan has been increasing as well. For example, in 2001 only 349 building permits for single family homes for sale issued at an average price of $127,800. This number of homes for sale jumped to 610 in 2002 at an average price of $129,000 and the numbers of So. Jordan homes for sale kept going up until 2006 with 1112 issued permits at an average price of $203,379. As you can see there is more growth in South Jordan Real Estate each year, and prices on the average homes for sale is going up as well. As of September 1, 2007 the population of South Jordan was in excess of 50,000 people.
Please click here to search the South Jordan area MLS for homes!
Education Around South Jordan:
The school age children in South Jordan attend the following schools. Bingham High School, South Jordan Middle, Monte Vista Elementary School, Welby Elementary School, Jordan Ridge Elementary School, Elk Meadows Elementary School, and South Jordan Elementary School.
There are many colleges and universities nearby South Jordan, Utah as well. These include Utah State University, Brigham Young University, Weber State University, Utah Valley State College, University of Utah, University of Phoenix-Utah Campus, and Salt Lake Community College. No matter what major you are interested in, there is a college or university nearby that will be a perfect match for your educational goals.
The main highways that run through South Jordan include the Bangerter Highway and Redwood Road. Interstate 15 and U.S. Highway 89 also provide access to South Jordan.
In 1981 the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints Jordan River Temple was built on Redwood Road. This was the most noteworthy aspect of South Jordan. Then, in 2005 an announcement was made that an additional Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints temple would be built in the new Daybreak Community. This makes South Jordan famous because upon completion of the second temple, the city will be the only one in the world with two temples.
South Jordan Resources:
To access definitive South Jordan Community information, City resources and additional services go to the City of South Jordan website @ S. Jordan info.